Just lately I have been experimenting with old recipes and coming up with new ones. I really love Earl Grey tea and wanted to come up with a cupcake or muffin to suit. I had some dried apricots in the cupboard and was sure they would go well so on a whim I threw those into the mix and I was right, yummy! Surprisingly my little Levi loved these despite the tea, proper English boy that one! ;o)
Apricot and Earl Grey Muffins
. Makes 12 to 18.
- 150g dried apricots
- Cup of Earl Grey tea made from on teabag and boiling water (no milk!)
- 200g sugar
- 250ml earl grey mixture topped up with a little rice or soya milk
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- ½ cup of apple puree mixed with 1 tsp baking powder (to replace 2 eggs)
- 275g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried early grey tea
Preheat the oven to 180 c.
First take your apricots and soak in the early grey tea for at least 10 minutes or up to and hour. Once moist scoop out the apricots and chop up into small pieces then add to wet mix bowl. Add the tea mixture.
Add wet to dry mix and stir gently until combined. Fill muffin cases almost to the top and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until nicely browned. Leave to cool before you prepare the drizzle.
Earl Grey Icing Drizzle
- 100g icing sugar sifted
- ½ tsp earl grey tea, sifted
- 3 or 4 tsp hot water
Mix everything together adding enough liquid to achieve a nice “drizzling” consistency then drizzle away.