I wanted to re-create a Victoria Sponge type cake and when I saw this recipe it seemed like just the thing. I changed the lime for lemon and sandwiched it with home-made cherry brandy jam. Very tasty with a nice cup of tea.
Lime Scented Vegan Sponge Cake
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup fresh Lime Juice (or lemon)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Canola oil
- 1 cup water
- Lime rind grated from 1 Lime (or lemon)
- 2 cups unbleached flour + extra for dusting the cake pans
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly coat one 11 by 13 inch OR two 9 inch diameter layer cake pans with a cooking oil spray. Lightly dust the pan(s) with a little flour.
- Finely grate the rind (only the green part) from 1 lime (2 if the limes are small) before juicing; you should have about 1 tsp.
- Juice enough limes to make 1/3 cup of juice – about 2 limes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the corn starch in the 1/3 cup of lime juice using a wire whisk until slightly frothy.
- Add the grated lime rind, oil, water, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Stir well.
- Sift the flour mixture into the bowl with the cornstarch mixture.
- Combine thoroughly with a whisk or rubber spatula just until all is mixed well.
- Pour batter into the oiled baking pan(s) and bake for about 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before adding your filling of choice.