When I happen upon food my three-year old allergy boy can eat my first thought is usually ” ooh I wonder how I can bake this in something”. So, these have it all (as far as I am concerned) they are nutty, salty, sweet, chewy and crunchy. Yummo. I also made a chocolate chunk version much to the delight of my older son who kept on asking for “one more” again and again.
I really love pretzels and my boys both share the love, the sunflower seeds are dry roasted before hand to release their delicious nutty flavour. We all loved these, do try them;
Pretzel and Sunflower Seed Cookies
- 1 tbsp of ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp warm water (to replace 1 egg)
- 75g sunflower seeds
- 150g dairy free margarine
- 75g dark brown sugar
- 225g white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso
- 75g broken up pretzels
- Preheat oven to 170 c.
- Mix together the flax and water and put aside to thicken.
- Dry roast the seeds in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until they start to turn golden and give off a nutty aroma. Take off the heat and leave to one side.
- Cream the margarine and sugars together until combined and smooth (I used a fork).
- Next add the vanilla and the flax mixture, mixing in gradually until combined.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients gently until all combined and a dough is formed
- Roll into balls, flatten and bake for about 12 to 15 mins depending on how soft or crunchy you like them.
- Leave to cool then drizzle with dark chocolate of push some chocolate chunks into them before you put them in the oven as I did.
MMMM Everything is better with chocolate!