I have had a jar of cherries sitting in the cupboard for a while and yesterday when my youngest and I were home alone we decided we would make some yummy cakes with them. This recipe is pretty much the same as the Orange Scented Honey Cake with a few minor alterations.
We had bought a jar of local honey from the shop the day before and so a whopping 250ml of that went into the cake mixture.
We then separated the mixture and made cupcakes with half and a small tray bake with the rest you can either make a big tray bake or lots of cupcakes or half half as we did.
Honey and Cherry Cake/ Cupcake
- 100g dairy free margarine
- 50g light brown sugar
- 250ml honey ( the thick set kind rather than clear)
- 250ml hot water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- About a cupful of drained cherries, or use fresh if you have them.
- Preheat oven to 170c and either grease a 20cm x 30cm tin or do as I do and line with greaseproof.
- I made this in the food processor but I am sure if you mix well making by hand would be fine too.
- Add the margarine and sugar to your food processor and blitz to combine. Next add the honey, vanilla extract and water and combine again.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl then gradually add that to the wet ingredients giving a little blitz between each addition until it is all combined.
- Pour into tin and spread evenly or seperate into cupcake cases.
- For the cupcakes we added a single cherry to each cake then went mad dropping lots onto the tray bake. It really is up to you.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until golden.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.