So I was given this massive and fabulous pumpkin by a friend and needed to come up with some recipes to use it all up. I never guessed I’d make so much out of it!
I made delicious Pumpkin Bread and Rolls, Pumpkin and Banana Muffins, Cookies, Pumpkin Butter and Pumpkin Pancakes as well as adding it to a few savoury things along the way like soup and sauces. Below I will share the recipes I came up with and under that will add the links to other people’s recipes I have tried out.
It’s Pumpkin season people so get baking!
Pumpkin Bread (for 24 rolls or 2 loaves):
- 1 x 7g sachet Yeast.
- 2 Tablespoon of sugar
- 200 ml rice milk, warm
- 1kg bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 500g pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons of nutmeg
- 125ml olive oil
- 125ml apple puree mixed with 1 tbsp of baking powder (to replace 2 eggs)
- Mix yeast and sugar into the milk leave to get all foamy whilst you prepare the other ingredients (about 5-10 mins).
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a bowl
- Add the apple puree with baking powder, oil, pumpkin and foamy yeast mixture to the dry mixture.
- Mix everything together until it’s all combined
- Next, take the dough and knead it on a floured surface (and keep it floured on top and bottom to keep from sticking on you and the surface) for about 10 minutes.
- Wipe a large bowl with oil and place your kneaded dough into the bowl. Now cover with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise and double in size for about an hour.
- Once doubled in size turn out of the bowl and knead for a minute or so. Next half the dough and either make into two loaves or (as I did) one loaf and nine to twelve rolls. Put onto greased/ baking paper lined trays, over with oiled clingfilm and leave for another 30-45 minutes. Preheat the oven at 170 c.
- Bake the bread/rolls for 30-40 minutes or until they are golden.
I was so pleased with how this turned out. The boys also really enjoyed the rolls and the loaf made lovely cinnamon toast.
This is a really simple recipe which makes a lovely breakfast or snack.
Pumpkin Banana Muffins
- 14 oz plain flour
- 1 and ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4oz dairy free margarine
- 10 oz sugar
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8oz pumpkin puree
- 125ml rice milk
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 200 c.
Sift together dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients by first creaming together the margarine and sugar then adding the oil and banana followed by the pumpkin and rice milk.
Pour the wet into the dry and mix.
Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake 18-20mins.
I also made Pumpkin Cookies from the fantastic book Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
and I spread some homemade Pumpkin Butter onto them. Yummy!
Lastly I made the most fabulous Pumpkin Pancakes from Weelicious, I ate far too many of these and couldn’t manage my dinner later in the day! So this is what i came up with, please do share your pumpkin recipes too!