Now that we know Levi has an egg allergy (and after a rather scary eye swelling incident involving egg) I am very dubious of baking with eggs and one of the first things I wanted to make allergy free was carrot cake. I looked at lots of different recipes to come up with the one below but it worked out really well and my hubby didn’t even realise it was egg free. You could just make this as one big cake but I have a thing at the moment for muffins and cupcakes, it’s the not having to grease tins that I like.
Vegan Carrot Cake
- 1 ¼ cup of light brown Sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of orange juice/apple juice/pineapple juice
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup of sunflower oil
- 1 cup of Raisins
Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Do not use a hand mixer for this recipe, use a spoon.
- Mix all the dry Ingredients together.
- Then mix in the Carrots and the Oil to the dry ingredients.
- Add the Orange Juice and mix it all together.
- Fold in the raisins
- Grease pan with cooking spray or oil.
- Put the batter into cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes (check at half that time for muffins) or until knife/toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Let cool completely
The icing was made using a mixture of icing sugar and orange juice (pineapple is also delicious)
I mixed about a cup of icing (powdered) sugar and added the juice a little at a time to get the desired drizzling quality.